Enjoy this turmeric golden milk immune boosting beverage, cozied up by the fire, with a good book this winter! This turmeric golden milk immune boosting spice blend is designed to support your immune system during the long winter months. Just in time for the season you are most susceptible to colds.
There is nothing cozier than cuddling up with a hot cup of this Turmeric Golden Milk immune boosting beverages on a chilly winter’s morning. Sometimes, I have my favorite book, sometimes I prefer to stare at the fire and enjoy the sound of silence. If you have kids, you know what a treasure those dark, pre-dawn, hours before they wake up, can be. I cherish every quiet and peaceful moment offered on these occasional mornings! And I genuinely value the opportunity to start my day by nourishing my body. When I am intentional about deeply nurturing and nourishing my body, I can be confident that it will take care of me. I rarely get sick or have any kind of health problems. I’m not “lucky”. I have a strong, intentionally nourished, body. Adding nutrient rich ingredients to my beverages is one of the ways I am constantly feeding my cells what they need to keep me strong, healthy, and full of the energy it takes to do everything necessary in my busy day.
Nutrient Rich Turmeric Golden Milk Ingredients
Let’s take a look at some of the simple but powerful ingredients in this beverage;
- Raw Goat’s Milk – I have talked about how important raw goat’s milk is for my family’s diet and health. I go into more details in my Nutrient Dense Healthy Hot Chocolate post regarding the benefits, mineral content, and all-around boost to our health we enjoy, by having raw goats’ milk fresh each day. I do not recommend any kind of “replacement” milk, other than full fat coconut milk, if you cannot tolerate regular whole milk. Hopefully you can get ahold of raw milk locally, but if not, just use the next best thing. You should be able to find a “vat pasteurized” option in local health food stores. This option still retains many nutrients and health benefits. Try to avoid any kind of “ultra-pasteurized” options as that will deliver you very little nutrition. If you would like a deeper dive on milk, you can read what one of my favorite doctors, Dr. Ray Peat, says about it here.
- Raw Honey – No doubt one of God’s best gifts to mankind is honey! Luckily raw honey is fairly easy to get and there are typically local sources, even in cities, due to the convenient small size and easy nature of keeping honeybees. Also, a source of antioxidants, minerals, and enzymes, honey has been lauded for its medicinal properties for thousands of years. Raw honey is my first go to when I feel a sore throat or cough coming on for myself or my kids. Did you know it is also a very effective treatment for burns? We order our honey by the 5-gallon bucket, which is part of our azure standard monthly hauls!
And everything nice…. the spices!
- Turmeric – Curcumin is the component of turmeric that gives this spice it’s unique yellow/orange coloring. This is actually the part of turmeric that has anti-inflammatory and immune boosting qualities. There are several autoimmune diseases turmeric has been tested as a helpful agent in fighting. There are multiple ways to get turmeric into your diet via powder, paste, or in pill form. If you suffer from inflammation or an autoimmune disease, it may be worth looking into using turmeric.
- Cinnamon – One of the most common and loved spices! But did you know that cinnamon also has high antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties? Or that it lowers blood sugar levels? Good news for my current cinnamon roll addiction! Apparently, it not only tastes delicious but has also been studied for its anti-cancer, heart disease reduction, as well as many other wonderful health benefits. This article even claims that studies show it as a promising combatant against the HIV virus! I think I’ll have another cinnamon roll.
- Nutmeg – Another delicious and aromatic spice that contains both antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. There are a myriad of other health conditions nutmeg may help with which you can learn more about here.
Enjoy, knowing this treat both satisfies your sweet tooth and supports a healthy constitution!
- 2 cups raw goats milk (or coconut milk)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp honey (adjust to taste)
- Warm milk just enough to melt the honey
- Add honey and stir until melted
- Add all of your spices and mix until desired temperature (I like mine warm but try not to let it get too hot as to keep as many nutrients as possible. It's a delicate balance 🙂 )
- I prefer to strain my golden milk through a metal mesh strainer. Otherwise there will be a sludge of spices at the bottom of your drink. Yuck.